Fort Laramie and the Pageant of the West,1834-1980

Fort Laramie and the Pageant of the West,1834-1980

SKU: 1209
$19.00Price

To weary travelers on the oregon Trail during the middle decades of the nineteenth century, Fort Laramie was a welcome sight. Its walls and flag-decked towers rose from the high plains, thier solidity suggesting that the white man was gaining a toehold in the wilderness. 

 

Hafen and Young present the colorful history of Fort Laramie from its establishment as Fort John in 1834 to its abandonment in 1890. Early on, the fort was controlled by the American Fur Company and patronized by trappers like Jim Bridgerand Kit Carson. Then it was a vital supply center and rest stop for a tide of emigrants - missionaries, Mormons, forty-niners, and homeseekers. 

Fort Laramie Historical Association

965 Gray Rocks Road

Fort Laramie, WY 82212

307.837.2221 x 3012

 

Fort Laramie National Historic Site

965 Gray Rocks Road

Fort Laramie, WY 82212

307.837.2221

National Park Service Website

Be The First To Know

Sign up for our newsletter